The Litigation Team consists of four attorneys, including the team leader, and four paralegals, assisted by an administrative team member who provides clerical support.
The legal services provided by the Litigation Team include, but are not limited, to:
- Represent the County and County employees in tort and other civil litigation at the trial and appellate level in both state and federal courts;
- In conjunction with Risk, monitor County litigation handled by private law firms which contract with the County.
- Review policies, claims issues, and processes related to Risk;.
- Represent the County in Code enforcement litigation;
- Represent TCERA in disability hearings;
- Represent the County in Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) and Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) matters that proceed to court;
- Advise the hearing panels and assist the Board of Supervisors with resolutions in discipline and grievance matters;
- Provide training to County Departments on Administrative Hearing procedures and department presentation.
- Handle e-discovery related issues including coordination and training and review IT policies related to e-discovery issues;
- Represent the County in excess proceeds litigation;
- Represent the County and County departments in administrative litigation other than disciplinary matters;
- Review policies and provisions where liability issues are involved;
- Assist in responding to audit letters;
- Represent the County in Enforcement of Judgments actions;
- Provide paralegal representation of the County in Small Claims Court
The Team: Team members include Chief Deputy Kathleen A. Taylor, Deputies Judith Chapman, Amy Myers and Christopher Sorich and Paralegals Kari Martin-Higgins, Nicol Dennewitz, Lynn Walmer and Catherine Hughes.
Mission: To advance and protect the programs and financial resources of the County by providing competent, efficient and cost-effective legal representation and by conducting all County litigation ethically, competently, fairly, justly, diligently, and with civility.
Vision: We value ethical conduct, integrity, honesty, openness, personal excellence, constructive self-criticism, continual self-improvement, and mutual respect. We are committed to our clients and to protecting the public fisc. We have a passion for the law and hold ourselves accountable to the public, the County, the County Counsel, and our team, always striving for excellence, fairness and justice in all our endeavors.