Tulare County Counsel

Tulare County Seal

*Some of the tasks County Counsel attorneys perform include: representation of the Health and Human Services Agency in petitions for the protection of abused or neglected children; provide advise on the open-meeting laws and Public Records Act; assist staff with lease, financing and bond matters and construction projects; provide advice and representation for very broad range of personnel related issues, including the application and interpretation of personnel rules and policy, and ADA, violence in the workplace, medical separation and fitness for duty, Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), personnel leave issues, probationary and “at- will” releases from employment, and discipline hearings; respond to and defend Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) and Equal Economic Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and other discrimination complaints; draft local ordinances; prepare or review contracts; and provide representation in litigation at the administrative, superior court and appellate court levels.

No. The County Counsel, by statute, is the lawyer for the County, its officers and employees in their official capacity, and certain other public entities such as memorial districts and cemetery districts. If you need assistance regarding Small Claims matters, you can contact the Small Claims Court Advisor Advisor Greg Blevins, Attorney at Law, at (559) 688- 6000 .

No. Legal service of process on the County may only be accomplished by serving the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors, located at 2800 West Burrel Avenue, Visalia, CA.

No. Although the name may be somewhat similar, the County Counsel's Office is not in the business of providing psychiatric aid. To obtain a referral for counseling, please contact the Tulare County Health and Human Services Agency at 559-733-6880 or 1-800-320-1616.